5.28.2011

Who doesn't love the Muppets?

Inspired by fishinaI am movin' right along here at Make It So...

There has been a lot going on, with the big event getting closer and closer. Not sure that I am ready. 
Scratch that. I KNOW I am not ready. Not even close. Here's what's been going on lately:

  • 34 weeks. Feeling good, and ginormous. Absolutely gargantuan. I am still managing to do headstands in yoga, but am really feeling the extra 35 pounds I have to hoist up against gravity.
  • Baby girl is head down, and has been for several weeks. She moves her butt from left to right occasionally, but I think she feels good just staying where she is. That is, downward. Stay, baby. Stay.
  • Baby hiccups are frequent, as are more powerful and therefore, uncomfortable movements. A fist to the bladder, a foot to the side, all mentally comforting but physically awkward. Good times. 
  • Chefy and I went on a one-day babymoon to a nearby coastal eco-resort. It was great. She got a message, I got a little sun, and we spent some QT together walking on the beach and hiking in the bluffs. Beautiful. We are headed with stepson to Tahoe for a week this Monday. Fishing, hiking, tennis, etc.... hopefully the weather improves! Ahh...summer in the bay area...
  • We are putting in hardwood (bamboo) floors in our condo while we are in Tahoe. Nothing like an entire house to reassemble 5 weeks before giving birth! Chefy and I will have our work cut out for us when we get back. House re-assemble, Co-sleeper assembly, car seat installation, etc..... When we get back, in my mind it is officially GO TIME.
  • Queer childbirth education class starts in a week. I am going with an open mind. We will see, hippie lesbian midwives....we will see. 
  • The further along in this pregnancy I get, the more open I am to the possibility of anything happening during birth. When we first realized this pregnancy was viable, I was focused on having a "natural" childbirth. Whatever the hell that means. I wanted it to be epidural-free, basically. But the closer I get, the more open I am to being open during the process. Let's just say while I am going to attempt to be medically-intervention-free, I am not going to feel bad in the least if I get an epidural, or pitocin, or both. The reality is that I am giving birth in a hospital, with a midwife, a doula, and my wife present. I know that I can trust all three of these women (along with the entire medical staff at the hospital), and that whatever happens, will happen. If I have a healthy baby in the end, that's all that is important. Wish me luck! 
  • Chefy and I (but maybe a little more Chefy) have officially become sports fans. More specifically, baseball. The Giants. We sit at home watching games and during innings look at each other and say "Who are we?" It's kind of comical. For some reason I find following baseball really relaxing. It's comforting, the science of the game. I can't explain it, really, but it just makes me feel cozy. Strange. 
  • My acupuncturist is starting to talk about "getting ready" and saying things like "moving things along" and "opening your hips up" and such. I think she is trying to tell me that I'm going to have a baby soon, and that I need to get ready. Got it, Christine. I am down. Literally. (we do a lot of squats in yoga). haha. I am so thankful for her guidance during this entire pregnancy, and feel like she is going to set me up in a way so that I'll be as prepared as I can be when this baby comes. She even mentioned coming to the hospital if need be. What a champ. 
  • I took a breastfeeding class (meh), and am spending time each day visualizing what it will be like to have a baby, full time. Our big task on this vacation next week will be for each of us three to come up with a baby song- one that will be ours to sing to the baby for her childhood. The reality that there will be a child I will sing to for years makes me feel so overwhelmed and blessed, it's kind of other-worldly. 
  • I have been enjoying reading others' blogs more than posting on my own. I look forward every day to hearing updates- crying and being frustrated along with some bloggers, and celebratory and strong with others. It is such a gift that we let each other into our lives, and share our experiences. I don't mean to be dramatic about it, I just don't want to take it for granted. So thanks for sharing.
Peace,
Libberal

5 comments:

  1. Although I eagerly read the whole post, I'm still stuck in the first paragraph... HEADSTANDS??! at 34 weeks! You are like some kind of superhero. Holy crap, I'm impressed. I'm so glad that even with all the 'to do' pressure, you guys are taking time to enjoy yourselves and spend some QT. I am on the edge of my seat. so excited!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uh, yeah, ditto the above about the headstand awe. I have nothing to say about that because I can't pick my mouth up off the floor. Sounds like you're packing it all in these next few weeks. How exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, lady. If you can do headstands at 34 weeks you are going to breeze through natural childbirth no problem!
    Sounds like things are going beautifully over there. I hope you have a blast in Tahoe, and I'll be interested to hear how your childbirth classes are!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Count me in on being in awe of your 34 week headstands! And queer childbirth education? That is soooo San Fran! (or either of the coasts, I guess). Which part of Tahoe you going to? I’ve only been south (Heavenly area) but it’s so beautiful there. Sounds fun!

    I can’t believe how close you are! And how close the rest of us are to admiring another cutie pie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with the crowd on the headstand awe. WOW! I think you have the right attitude about being open during the birth. I thought I didn't want the epidural, but after our progress stalled, oh boy oh boy was I happy to have that epidural, and little G then popped right on out. I'm so excited for how close you are!!!!

    ReplyDelete