7.07.2011

Numbers and Patience

Here are the facts:

- Today I am empirically 40 weeks pregnant, according to when I inseminated and ovulated back in October. My midwives at the hospital tell me I am 39w4d. Good for me- b/c I then have three additional days in which to go into labor naturally. Yippee. Letting my body do the job on its own is important to me lately. I truly do not want to be induced. My hospital induces at 41w4d, at which I will really be 42w.

- I am now 2 cm dilated, 50% effaced and soft, cervix in mid-position, with the baby at a -2 station. I understand that these numbers have very little correlation with how my labor may(not) progress, but I guess I am satisfied(?) to know at this point. I wish that the baby were lower, and am considering doing some jumping jacks to make it so.   I kid.

- I thought I broke my water last Sunday night- but with no progressive contractions, went to the hospital to get checked on Monday night, 24 hrs after my "water broke." Turns out it was crionic (sp?) fluid, the fluid outside the two amniotic membranes, and not amniotic fluid itself. Probably also I peed myself some, adding to the amount of fluid pouring out of my body. I was squatting on my living room floor, playing with my cat, and out it poured- just like in the movies ;) Was sent home after confirmation that the baby is looking "excellent" and I am having minor contractions.

- Mucus plug was lost that morning, but have read/been told that this also carries little/no indication as to when your labor will start.

- Lots of confusing/non-productive/painful Braxton-Hicks contractions. Whenever I get up, am walking or move significantly, my belly becomes a rock and I get dull or shooting cramps at various points in my abdomen. These contractions are completely erratic.

- Yesterday morning for an hour or so I had a lot of painful menstrual cramp-like pain, which came in "wave" feelings. These felt different, and productive. I laid in bed and thought "Maybe today, Libby. Maybe today." Then I got out of bed and those yummy contractions went goodbye, not to return.

- I am doing my best to take deep breaths, remain calm, and maintain a level of patience with myself, my body, and baby girl. Patience is not a talent that comes naturally to me, and (my lack of) has been a major detriment on many levels throughout my life. If there was ever a time to practice relaxation, self-love, mindfulness, patience and common sense, it is now. I will myself to chill out. I will make it so, even if it kills me.

This (early!) limbo feeling is not easy to deal with. I am thrilled at the idea of meeting this amazing baby girl who is currently moving her large limbs and butt around inside me.  I am actually excited at the idea of going into labor, and can't wait to birth her, bring her home, to parent her, love her, have Chefy and I love and raise her together. All these things are like never-ending field trips, summer vacations and recess all day long. Thrilling. What I am anxious about is getting to that point, making that chain of events a reality. I want to be there, soon. Anyone have any suggestions/stories/ideas about how to handle due-date-limbo (DDL)? Much obliged, I'm sure...

8 comments:

  1. so close! Your experience sounds similar to mine -- Technically I went in to labor a day before my due date, but according to our calculations and the state of my placenta after birth, I was a week late. -- I also had the fake-out-contractions/rock-hard/cramps --SO annoying. Hang in there, it will be soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Been there, done that :)
    Go to a movie. You won't again for a while. See something you really want to see that will take you away from the ticking clock in your head.
    Go to a restaurant that you ahve been meaning to try. Order whatever the hell you want and a glass of expensive wine (disclaimer: I am not a medical professional, and this advice should be considered optional.)
    Get a massage.
    Paint your toenails (haha! Just kidding! You can't reach ;-))
    I did acupuncture, black cohosh, evening primrose (suppository-style)... who knows if it worked, but it made me think I *could* affect things.
    Bake something delicious and eat it all (calories don't count in this magical period.)
    Pre-address your baby announcements or pre-write the email in your drafts folder.
    Prank-call your bff at 3 a.m. and tell her "it's time." Then laugh maniacally and hang up. Call back in 30 seconds to tell her, "Psych!!" (All is forgiven during this magical time.)
    Go point and laugh at the sea lions in the Marina with the tourists.
    ...
    OK, I am out for now.
    Any minute now... I am so excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why do they have a different DD? Interesting.... But I agree - it's nice that you'll have those 3 extra days!

    Do some stuff that you won't need a babysitter for - movies? Fancy dinner?

    And bounce on that yoga ball!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm enjoying the advise you're getting already. :) Truly, truly do these things!
    Definately the movie and the dinner out. In fact, make it an extremely fancy-schpancy restuarant. You may never see the inside of one again! hehe
    Eat everything you want for sure. Once you pop that baby out you'll either forget to eat or feel badly you're eating because you should be losing pregnancy weight. Blah.
    Run around your house making as much loud noise as possible (er, I mean waddle quickly). Come baby time, you'll notice EVERY tiny little noise you, chefy, your house, the neighbors make. A creaking door could wake up my daughter - the one responsible for not remembering that the door could creak...then becomes the recipient of stares of rage!

    I'm not sure anything really works to hurry along that little baby. As a person who received an induction, I can say from experience, I would not have allowed that route had I known what it would mean - for me. How can your hospital tell you when to have a baby anyway? It's not like you are required to be there when they want you to. Also, they can't refuse to provide you service should you go into labor a week from now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great suggestions! Today I am out to as much of the above as possible. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, I just found your blog and am a bit sad about it because we could have been gestational twins-- I'm due in 2 weeks. Lots of confusing B-H around these parts, too-- also whenever I get up or move or...pee. Really, nature? Please explain.

    Love the advice you've gotten so far from everyone! Good luck and hopefully it will be any minute/hour/day now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. the restaurant advice wouldn't be my priority. we've been taking bunny out to eat and i can enjoy more food now than when pregnant (sushi the other day was so nice and good-bye meat aversion, hello again big juicy steaks), but i really wish we had gone to see a few movies while in limbo time. we won't be doing that for a while...

    i also wish we had finished our baby shower thank you cards. don't know when the hell that will ever get done. :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. No advice, but hang in there. Seems like you've been given lots of good ideas! I'm already trying to squeeze in as many movies as I can, so I definitely vote for that one.

    ReplyDelete