Honestly, I'm feeling a bit curious over here at Chez MISNO.
According to my midwife, I am 38w6d. According to me, I am 39w today. Either way you roll those numbers, I am very pregnant and ready for baby girl to make her appearance.
Yesterday morning something was different with my body. I had some cramping, some abdominal pain, and a good number of long, hard and uncomfortable braxton-hicks. Then I went to have my weekly appointment (as my prenatal class is over- I was in the June class and most of the women have given birth already- lots of adorable babies to fawn over!) and at the appointment, the doc swept my membranes. Good times. I would not recommend this as an end-of-the-day-relaxing type of activity. It was a bit painful and more than a little awkward. My OB is hilarious, and kept doing this Stevie Wonder impression while she had her thumb up my cervix, making me laugh, which made it hurt more. She's funny. Apparently I am not dilated, and conveniently forgot to ask if I was effaced :( BUT, she did manage to get that thumb in there and roll it around some, so that's the good news..
After the sweep (or the ream, as she liked to refer to it), things calmed down. Last night brought on some more very long BH, but no more cramping. Sleeping last night was hard, as I am full of anticipation that something may happen, as well as spending all of my mental energy trying to decipher each and every pin drop of pain or cramping. I did have some light cramping through the night and now again my entire abdomen seems to be made of stone and is not letting up. No bloody show, no water breaking. Is my impatience getting to me here, or could these BH/cramping/sweeping hopefully lead to something? Having never been in labor before, I am feeling like I'm grasping at straws in the dark. Baby also had a strange adjustment last night where I swear she was ramming her head against my cervix. Knock knock.
Not sure where all this is headed right now, if anywhere. I am going to take a shower, shave my legs, and then take a looooong walk. Bags are packed (kind of) and I am trying to keep my expectation in check. My due date is still a good 9 days away.
Happy July everyone!
Libby
12 years ago

You're so close! I know it could still take awhile, but it sounds like that little girl is getting ready. Maybe you'll be one of those people who goes from 0-10 in a few hours. Hoping all those feelings are leading to something soon.
ReplyDeletei totally recommend evening primrose suppositories to encourage cervical ripening. it was the one thing for inducing labor that the midwives felt okay about using before the due date. i guess because it doesn't actually induce labor, just opens up your body for it if you're ready anyhow.
ReplyDeletecan i ask why your ob swept your membranes at 39 weeks? my midwives wouldn't do it at 40 although we did have it on the table for my first (of 2) 41 week appointment that never happened.
Thanks ladies-
ReplyDeletePom- my midwife and OB both are big fans of sweeping the membranes to get things going. Not sure why they are so into it- but it did put one of the women in my group into immediate labor. So I asked, and my OB said, "SURE!" I'm going to have her do it again if I make it 'till next week's appointment. Thanks too for the rec on the Evening Primrose supplements. I have been taking 4 a day orally for the last couple of weeks, per my acupuncturist. Right now the BH have calmed down- no real labor. We'll see......
on pins & needles over here for you! any minute now.
ReplyDeleteit sounds like its go-time! so exciting! What a fun birthday around the long weekend!
ReplyDeleteAAaaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!! SO excited!!!!!
ReplyDelete