I've been so good. And so bad.
A full week after returning home from Paris, I have yet to get my *ss in gear and get back to my regular work schedule. I have been the queer queen of procrastination for the last few days, and I am beginning to attribute this to my new-found decaffeinated state. It's true. I'm so lazy I'm blaming my coffee for my ineptitude.
To explain. Upon arrival home to San Farisco (as we loveingly refer to her), I did my dudiligence with caffeine and wine. Well...really just caffeine (can't lie about wine as I am currently sipping on leftover white from the wedding.) I gave the morning shock treatment up completely, switching instead to fer.til.ity tea and/or decaf. And I have to tell you that (very) surprizingly, it's been totally fine. Really. I apparently do not need to pump my system full of natural uppers every morning in order to get through my TODO list. That being said, I also have temporarily turned into a house cat. All I want to do is lay around and lounge all day. It's sad, especially because its true. Okay, but also the other important thing to mention is that I have wicked allergies right now that are totally freaky and gross. Mucus is not my friend, in fact he has tried to choke me a couple of times already this week.
Anyway, that's all. I have accomplished giving up caffeine in all its' assorted forms, and instead have traded liquid drug of choice with one of the seven deadly sins. I need to turn this ship around, and quick. I write this simply to motivate myself, not to illicit any kind of sympathy or compasion. This post is really just to acknowlege my own process and to kick myself in the bootie a bit.
What I have done is seriously started drinking that tea that leaves me feeling a wee bit strange at the end of a pot, made a doctor's appointment with an OBGYN who has delivered two of my friends chittlins, and am making sure I'm not skipping days on those freakishly large pre-natal pills (ick.) So, it's not all bad.
12 years ago

More power to you on giving up the caffeine! You gotta cut yourself some slack to sloth around for a while... No better time to do it than when the air is chilly and mornings are dark... (Meanwhile I'm planning on drinking caffeine up until the very last day of my last non-ttc cycle ;-))
ReplyDeleteUgh, and I hear you on the Pre-Nats. Blarg!
What is in the tea that you're drinking (and is it good for recreational purposes?)
LOL, you are funny Keely. I'm drinking the fertility tea from that wacky pregnancy empire company up in Bellingham. The one with the picture a pregnant teenager holding flowers on the package. It seriously makes me feel odd after drinking a pot. I think I should host a "tea" party and see how it goes.
ReplyDeleteDo you have any recommendations for those ridiculous pills? Do you take them with anything special?
A lot of people recomended Trader Joe's pre-nats to me when I complained that the Rainbow ones made me nauseous. Honestly, because of the 3-month anti-malarial break, I stopped taking them altogether.
ReplyDeleteDo you know if there is any real advantage to taking them before getting pg? I mean, all those vitamins are h2o soluble, so they aren't stored, right? Anyway... that sounds like my kinda tea party! But a pregnant teen? That's just weird!
Goooood question. I haven't done much footwork on the pre-nats, but had just been following advice from my mom (pediatrician), and friend who recently gave birth, w/ the assumption being that starting on folic acid asap will eventually be beneficial. Sounds like I've got a bit of research to do. And the pregnant teen, that is totally what she looks like. I think she's even got a scrunchie in her hair. Thanks for the advice about TJ's. I'm almost out of those horsey Rainbow pills, so I'll try those next.
ReplyDeleteI don't think you need an actual prenatal. If you're happy taking a regular multi you should be fine. I believe they're only concerned about your folic acid intake. I was on 5 mg folic acid/day prior to conception --- for a year and a half!! If your insurance will pay, try Preg-Vit folic 5. That's what I'm on. The pills are small and iron/calcium is split between two pills. It will be a bonus during pregnancy too because they are easy on the stomach for morning sickness.
ReplyDeleteHehe let me join you in whingeing about being caffeine free, sucking down huge pre-conception vitamins and considering drinking all sorts of strange teas - you should see my top draw at work!
ReplyDeleteI love the top draw commentaries. Whose blog was I reading with the author discussing at-work OPK adventures? It's pretty funny if you think about it..
ReplyDeleteYou are a better woman than I--I am just now trying to taper myself off of coffee and it is NOT easy! Wine: no prob. Coffee: can't live without!
ReplyDelete...aaaannnnddd that OPK is STILL in my FREAKING DESK. Good lord; I have got to throw that thing away!
just getting to catch up...looks like a you guys had a beautiful ceremony and a great time in Paris--so jealous!
ReplyDeleteas for the caffine, you are stronger than I, I could never quite kick it-slowed down a lot but never threw it out.
my neurologist suggested taking folic acid supplements or pre-natals for three months before getting pregnant
Amilydiaries, good to know! I'm a little over two months out now, so I'm just trying to start out on the right foot. As for the coffee, I was tempted this morning to make a pot of thick, dark lovely coffee, but here I am, sipping on my fertilitea. Wish me luck on the wine front!
ReplyDelete