As 2011 is now incredibly upon us, and as every ones lives move gaily forward, I feel the need for my own personal records to stop and think about the past year; what's happened in the last 12 months and how its influenced where I am now. This might be tedious and about as dull as watching Funny Girl (yikes how did that movie gain such notoriety?), so be warned. I've decided to break this down per subject.
Baby Train:
2010 was the most horrifying and exhilarating ride on this baby roller-coaster. A chemical pregnancy, a missed miscarriage and then a (so far) successful almost-14-week pregnancy to round it out have been a whirlwind, to say the least. March through October seemed never-ending for me, and the depth of the depression and anxiety I was immersed in after that those miscarriages was a surprise. While my dad and brother both struggle with depression, I hadn't been that sad and empty ever, so those months were hard. As I realize must happen with tragic events, their occurrence brings to the fore a whole host of other issues. I felt very lost and couldn't seem to find solid ground for a while. I know that so many women experience this very same shitty situation, and sometimes I feel weak for letting myself get so depressed after only 2 miscarriages, but I can't feel bad about feeling bad, right? So onward we go. There obviously still needs to be some therapy around this. Yes.
This pregnancy has been such an obvious change. I can't say that my sadness about the miscarriages has completely abated, but having a pregnancy progress and gaining new ground every week has been incredible. I am not taking this experience for granted and am often overwhelmed that I managed to make it here after what's happened this past year. So I'm carrying around excitement, uncertainty, anxiety, residual depression, elation, nervousness and joy....and somehow I will make it all work. I'm not sure how, but we'll see now won't we?
Family:
Chefy. Pooooooor Chefy. What a feat she has accomplished in just keeping me going this year. She has been understanding when I need it, a patient listener, a calm voice of reason, a strong support. Her life has been full of trauma and tragedy since birth, so she's practiced at looking at the bigger picture and keeping calm and carrying on. I'll stop gushing, I promise, but I feel blessed to have a wife who can do her best to keep me upright and remind me of what's important.
As far as this current pregnancy, I think she is just trying to get through all the current chaos at work (next subject), so she's taking it a day at a time, as I am, and is getting more excited with each passing milestone. We've even started talking about names. It's starting to take on a very real formation in both of our minds.
While my family has been wonderful (they are pretty much all of the time, I am very lucky), I have to say that I'm very much over this pressure to have a grandchild for my parents. The miscarriages were two-fold disappointments b/c not only did I feel I was toppling my own tower of clueless expectations, but I was letting my parents down too. Not a warm fuzzy feeling. They have been very supportive and loving, don't get me wrong. But damned if my mother couldn't even hold off until the second trimester to start buying baby clothes. I know, what a whiner I am. Chefy's mother can barely manage to hug her and here I am, bitching about my mom being excited to be a grandmother. I guess I have always struggled with trying not to let them down, and not being able to carry a grandchild was a feeling that I'd failed big time. Again....therapy.
Work:
The restaurant has been INSANE. While I personally have been going through all this baby-chaos, our business has been going through its own metamorphosis. About 1.5 years ago we bought the space adjacent to our (very small) restaurant and have spent the last hmmmm lemme see......9 months remodeling it to become our new restaurant. If any of you have been through a major remodel, you'll know the insanity and headache it is. Money, time, sawdust, chaos, dealing with contractors, money, permits, liscences, feeling like you're bleeding money.....it is a whirlwind to say the least. The good news is that the first phase (there are 2) to the project was completed last week and we are as of last Thursday in our newly built restaurant, and its beautiful and we've been off the hook busy, and we've both been busting our asses making sure things run smoothly. Thank the good whoever-is-up-there that I've moved into more of the second trimester bliss I keep reading about. As of last Wednesday (that's right, only one day before opening the new restaurant), I started feeling great! No more morning sickness (well, a lot less, anyway), and energy to spare. The timing couldn't have been better. I do have a baby bump which is turning from bloat into a full-fledged hard bump, so everyone at work now knows and they are all thrilled. Good times. Belly pictures to come.
So there you have it, a capsule of the life of Libby, 2010. My hopes for 2011 are of course that this pregnancy progresses in a healthy and exciting way and that Chefy and I embrace parenthood with all the gusto and joy we can muster. I can't wait.
Happy New Year Everyone!
12 years ago

what a year indeed! As somewhat of a "local" I cant wait to check out the new space -- and of course, hopefully by this summer catch a glimpse of the new little one!
ReplyDeleteFor what it's worth, I totally get the feelings of sadness and depression around 'only' two losses. Mine were even earlier than yours, and yet I still feel sad about it sometimes. I am so glad that you are reaching that 'real' place in your pregnancy, and congratulations again.
ReplyDeleteYour restaurant, while a whirlwind of work behind the scenes, sounds awesome and I wish I could check it out. (I think I'm on the opposite coast...)
Congratulations on the beginning of an amazing 2011. It's going to be a great one.
Holy crap, lady. It's a testament to your strength and general fabulousness that you survived this year at all! Your post echoed what I have been feeling about 2010-that it was this long, intense year of digging and ploughing and seeding and that the new year holds all sorts of promise for reaping the rewards of your efforts :) I feel so certain that this year will bring you all the joys and successes you have been working towards. xoxo J
ReplyDeletewhat a year it's been. congrats on the newly expanded restaurant!
ReplyDelete