2.03.2010

OhPeeKay

I am obsessed. Please help me abate this obsession by telling me your timing experiences with your positive OPK results and your IUI's. This is my four month OPK look-back, as it were.

Nov: +OPK CD 15
Dec: +OPK CD 14+15
Jan: +OPK CD 16
Feb: +OPK CD 17

What the hell day should I think about having my first IUI (next cycle) with these numbers? Any advice?

5 comments:

  1. I have had IUIs on CD 14 and 17, but most of them on CD 15 and 16. Most women vary from month to month, so you can't nail it down to the day until the day comes! Are you worried about prepping the sperm?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would base your insemination on the OPK+ rather than on the day of the cycle. My OPK positive day also varied from day 16-20, and when I did chinese herbs for fertility support it started being positive on cycle day 14 (that was a real surprise and I had to get the tank in a hurry).

    I timed my inseminations using the OPK+ and other fertility sings. Mainly compared OPK+ to when my cervix was open and when my BBT went up. In my case, I tested with OPK around noon. Once my OPK turned positive, my cervix would open fully 24-40 hours later. Two days after my OPK+ my BBT would spike up. So I inseminated on the 2 days after my OPK+. It took me a while to figure this out and before I did I wasted a lot of money on sperm inseminating at the wrong time. Once I did, I had an easier time getting pregnant.

    So for my son I did 3 ICI insems at home on day0, 1, and 2 after OPK+; for my daughter I did an IUI on 24 hours after OPK+ and an ICI at home 42 hours after.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't remember if you guys are planning on starting with IUIs right away? I know some people aren't a fan of temping, but I would temp the cycles between now and your IUI, if possible. It'll help you figure out the relationship between your positive sticks and your actual ovulation since the span is 12-36 hours.

    I get a 2-day positive OPK on my first internet sticks I used, but it was only positive the second day on my First Response sticks. Earlypregancy.com sticks also only show the 2nd day as positive. In any case, I gradually darken. My temperature goes up 2 days after the 2nd dark day, so I know that I'm ovulating the day after the second dark day. We've timed our IUIs to that 2nd day. Of course, I'm not pregnant yet and we gave up on the OPKs and triggered this cycle.

    My friend who got pregnant on her 4th IUI had the first 3 on the day after her positive. She had a gut feeling her timing was off and got her 4th IUI scheduled on the day of the positive OPK. She has a 6-month-old daughter now.

    I know that doesn't help much, but yeah, it varies.

    Oh, and regarding POAS obsession, I feel ya. I was doing 3 times a day the first 2 IUI cycles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was our first IUI and I'm not sure we got the timing right, but we did one the day of the positive OPK and a second the day after. I usually get a temp shift on the 2nd + day but not this time, so we might have been too early. If you POAS in the morning and evening, it can help narrow the window. And I agree with Pom, definitely do the temping so you know where you fall in the 24-36 hours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I had experience to share, but I never got a positive OPK while we were TTC. Ultrasound monitoring on day 12 and subsequent ovidrel trigger shot always made opks a moot point for actual ovulation--I just used them to make sure I wasn't ovulating early. Are you using other fertility tracking methods in addition (checking your mucus, temp taking, etc.)? I would, if I were you--it's always better to have more data from more sources than relying on just one.

    ReplyDelete