5.31.2010

Well Hello There

Time for some NYC pics! 
New York as seen from the Empire State Building. Drizzly May morning.
Chicken dumpling's from Anita Lo's dumpling truck. We saw her the next day huffing and puffing her bike over the Brooklyn Bridge. Very exciting for my wife (it's a dyke Asian chef thing). These were VERY TASTY. This day we also had a frankfurter from Grey's Papaya (the coconut champagne drink was awesome), and bagels, lox, whitefish salad, and smoked sablefish for breakfast. YUM! Dinner that night was at Colicchio's Craft. The Hen-of-the-woods mushrooms were to die for! 
Me in front of Stonewall. Reminder to self: ask wife to take picture of you standing in front of iconic birthplace of the gay rights movement BEFORE she's had three cocktails. Gotta love her. We had a good night that night, met the building owner's son, who was crazy, and danced with a bunch of  fabulous queens in the small room above the bar. What a night!
Same night :)
Margarita pizza at Lombardi's in Little Italy. This was good, but not as good as the slice we had at Joe's on the lower east side. That day we also had amazing yuca, plantains, and pork shoulder at Boca Chica, and the MOST INCREDIBLE soft serve ever: Cinnamon Bun soft serve at Momofuku Milk in the lower east side. The next day we also dined at another Momofuku, this time in the noodle bar. We had softshell crab noodles, kimchee tamales, and a two-minute egg. That Momofuku mogul knows what he's doing. Also notable was the three(!) pasta course dinner we had at Batali's restaurant, Lupa. I know there are also amazing things we had to eat, but it's hard to remember it all. If you walk away from this blog knowing one thing about eating in New York, it's that you must, must go to Momofuku Milk and try some of that soft serve. If you live in the vicinity, please go now and ship me some overnight in the mail. I will love you forever. :)
Rueben at Carnegie's deli late night. This place had a really strange vibe to it. And all the old-skool Jewish deli food is new to me, so this was an experience. The seven pickles they put in front of us when we sat down were a good sign, though. This pastrami is unlike anything I have every eaten. It was perfectly salty and as large as my head. 
 Sappho at the Met. Gorgeous.

All in all we had an amazing time. It was the best distraction from myself that I could think of. And now it's back to reality, back to the restaurant and taking my temperature, to buying six hundred pounds of groceries every day, to feeding my weird cats and loving my little family.

10 comments:

  1. Looks like you had a fab time! I have never eaten at Momofuko, just because of the excessive buzz about it. You may have just convinced me, though...
    I wish we had been in town-- would have loved to meet up. Next time!
    Glad you had such a lovely vacation.
    P.S. I like the new look!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like you guys had a great time!! I LOVE the somewhat blurry pic of you. Too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol.. love the blurry one... i wonder what cocktail number 4 would look like. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post has made me extremely hungry! Sounds like an awesome time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks fabulous. It's been so long since I've been to NYC. Your pictures make me want to go.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks like a fabulous time. Beautiful pictures. I too think I'm ready for a snack.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rose would see 7 pickles as a VERY good sign, too! Glad you had such a good time in NYC. I want to travel with you foodies sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG I love a good food post and those are all the best food things in NYC. What a great trip!!! So jealous. It's 11:28 here and my stomach is screaming to be fed after reading this. Too bad nothing I eat for lunch today will compare to the goodness in your post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anita Lo has a DUMPLING TRUCK? Mama Jae is going to flip out when I tell her. So jealous that you got to do such a fantastic foodie's journey through the city. I got the Momofuku cookbook for Mama Jae for the holidays and we are dying to try his restaurants. So glad I am getting to live vicariously through you, that you had a great time, and that it was a wonderful distraction!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Momofuku cookbook=great gift idea. Thanks, Mamabea!

    ReplyDelete