11.29.2009

An Answer

No more search for the elusive retired donor..

While on a layover in LAX on our way to New Orleans last Tuesday, Chefy got a call from Cally Cy.ro Bank and spoke with the lovely customer service lady whose been helping us try to locate PooMan's donor. It seems like the suits in her office are only initiating donor re-entry into their program for full siblings. Since this search would result in only a half sibiling for PooMan, our request to begin the search for the donor got denied.

Chefy mentioned this briefly after we were comfortably sitting in the plane, on our way to NOLA. I didn't say anything at first, just to give her a chance to respond. She sounded relieved and ok with the decision, which was comforting. I'm fine with it as well. It's good and bad news. Our baby will be of no biological relation to PooMan, but we will not be lost in donor limbo that I was dreading for the next year. This means that we will be able to begin officially in Feb. 2010!!! I can't wait. Chefy seems settled with the idea of finding a donor together that we are both happy with, even if it isn't PooMan's. She was even saying how excited she is to have a baby with me last night, and that she's fully ready. So cute.

So..this answer gives us a timeline and a starting date. I'm thrilled. Now I only have to make it another three months until we can start! I am going to write a looong list of new years' resolutions to distract myself.

In other news, I have been feeling totally allergic to the world and myself even. You know when you have those days when you feel like an alien has taken over your body and you no longer recognize youreself? I had one of those days today...
Thank goodness that I have a very patient and loving wife who took care of my crazy ass all day long. Grateful sigh.
Oh yes and in Thanksgiving news, Chefy, PooMan and I visited Chefy's family in NOLA. It was a little stressful, but they are crazy and great and are totally loving towards me, (which is a big deal for their family..) so we all had a great time and ate lots of Fillipino/Southern/Traditional American T-Day food. It was great, and I am completely thankful that my new family is so suprizingly lovely.

6 comments:

  1. Damn. I'm sorry they weren't able to conduct the donor search. But I suppose having an answer, even if it isn't the one you wanted, is better than being in limbo. It must be exciting that you only have 3 months until you start trying! Biologically related or not, I'm sure PooMan will be thrilled to have a sibling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, too bad that it is no longer an option, but at least you have the answer you need to move on. Three months will fly-- trust me! And in the meantime you can busy yourself looking through all the other donor profiles.

    Sounds like a lovely thanksgiving. How was NOLA itself? I have loved it the couple of times I've gone (the food, the music, the amazing architecture, the artsy vibe.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. NOLA is great. We've been three times since the hurricane, (the first being only 8 months after, ) and this was the first time things were really looking good. There is all kinds of new development in both the city and the west bank, and you can tell the city feels more populated and energized. I love being there- people have such pride about their city and all of its eccentricities.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that there's power in knowing, even when it's not what you'd hoped for.

    One small ray of sunshine, if you're looking for one... by starting with a new donor, you'll have the option to switch if it seems like you and the donor just aren't "jiving." A number of times during my BFN streak, I wished that I could switch donors, change up that variable, but I was locked in because he was the donor who worked for my partner. I really think there is something to be said for donor/recipient chemistry, and I hope you find just the right one for your new family.

    Wishing you a smooth TTC process with lots of good news.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I'm sorry things didn't work out with finding PooMan's donor, but how thrilling that it means you can start ttc so soon! How exciting! Can't wait to hear more about your new donor selection. I'm so glad you had a good time in NOLA--what a fabulous city.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too am sorry that using the same donor didn't work out -- but so glad you'll start ttc soon! We've been debating reserving vials from our guy for possible future use but it's so damn expensive, i don't think we will. And you know, we decided it'd be fine if he runs out before we're ready to try again. Whoever you choose, you'll get the just-right baby. That's the amazing part.

    ReplyDelete